Riak 1.0 is expected to be revealed and released soon by Basho Technologies, the creators of Riak.
- Riak is, along with Cassandra and Voldermort, an implementation of the Amazon’s Dynamo.
- Meaning it is a highly available, proprietary key-value structured storage system aka distributed data store.
- Riak is written using Erlang
- Riak comes in two flavors: open source and enterprise. Enterprise is a superset of the open source version with a few features added.
- No master node: all nodes in a Riak cluster are equal and each node is fully capable of serving any client request(possible using consistent hashing to distribute data around the cluster)