Microsoft announced a partnership with Hortonworks last year to bring Hadoop to Windows Server and Windows Azure. Microsoft’s vision revolves around making Hadoop and related Big Data tools trivially accessible to the regular IT end-user and to this end it integrates with SQL Server Analysis and Reporting Services as well as Excel PowerPivot.
Here are some resources to use Hadoop in a Microsoft environment
- How To Connect Excel PowerPivot To Hive on Azure
- Hadoop Basics for SQL Server DBAs
- Hadoop on Azure is currently an invitation only preview. Roger Jennings has a good walkthrough with a sample project
- Introduction to Hadoop on Windows Azure video on channel9
- Generic based Framework for .NET Hadoop MapReduce Job Submission