Basho announced today that Riak CS is now open source under the Apache 2 license. Organizations and users can now access the source code on Github and download the latest packages from the downloads page.
Riak CS can be used to build private or public clouds or as reliable, available storage behind applications and platforms. Riak CS Enterprise is currently used by large corporations including Datapipe, Deutsche Vermögensberatung (DVAG), IDC Frontier, Rovio, and Yahoo! JAPAN.
Basho is a distributed systems company dedicated to making software that is available, fault-tolerant, and easy to operate at scale. Twenty-five percent of the Fortune 50 and thousands of open source users large and small run our flagship open source database, Riak. Riak CS takes distributed systems principles derived from production Riak users and applies it to the problem of large scale storage. We are excited to share this code with the world.
Riak CS features:
- Highly available, fault-tolerant storage
- Large object support
- S3-compatible API and authentication
- Multi-tenancy and per-user reporting
- Simple operational model for adding capacity
- Robust stats for monitoring and metrics
For users requiring multi-datacenter replication and enterprise-level support, Riak CS Enterprise (a commercial extension of Riak CS) is available.
Today we are also announcing several new features, available now as part of the open source edition.
- Multipart upload. Upload very large files to Riak CS as a series of parts. Parts can be between 5MB and 5GB.
- Support for GET range queries. Retrieve a range of bytes from a single object. This functionality is implemented in the “Range” request header of GET operations.
- Per-bucket policies to restrict access to buckets based on source IP.
- Riak CS Control. Riak CS Control is a standalone web administration tool for user management available on Github.