Get ready for the BeNeLux OWASP Day 2011 (1st and 2nd December 2011), it will be held at University of Luxembourg:
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
Room: Paul Feidert
The current agenda include a training day and a conference, both are free
The registration will be open when details are online.
Twitter tag is #owaspbnl11
More details and news on the official website
Following the first NoSQL Event #2, last 26 September, you can now download the presentation made about Redis usage by Alexandre Dulaunoy from CIRCL.
“Design and Implementation of a Fast and Scalable Ranking Scheme for Internet Resources”
How to Track Suspicious Resources on Internet without Losing your Mind
Download: Redis usage for Internet Ranking
Monday evening, the second NoSQL event in Luxembourg has taken place at CRP Henri Tudor Technoport.
As planned, Alexandre Dulaunoy described the design and implementation of BGP Ranking and Passive DNS to cope with the high-volume of information collected everyday upon the Redis key-value data store. CIRCL (the national CERT of Luxembourg) developed and integrated this two tools helping the ranking of internet resources like ASN, domain name and IP addresses. The presentation raised a lot of interests and questions.
Then, Thibaut Britz, Trendiction’s CTO, explained how they operate a cluster of more than 250 Nosql servers running Cassandra. He detailed how jobs are being executed on their cluster in order to crawl and analyze the data collected. The analysis includes automatic detection and normalization for content type/language/duplicate to finally being able to deliver their customers: market research institutes and media analytics companies .He also unveiled an internal tools providing a global overview over the distributed job execution service, allowing to quickly determine the ongoing workloads on the 250 nodes. This presentation raised questions even beyond the scope of the data processing.
The session ended with a drink, extending the talks between the participant.
Thanks to everyone for sharing this moment, one more great NoSql event.
Speakers of the #2 event: Alexandre Dulaunoy and Thibaut Britz
Join us for the #2 NoSQL event in Luxembourg
26th September 2011
- 17h30 – Welcome, registration and introduction
- 18h00 – “Design and Implementation of a Fast and Scalable Ranking Scheme for Internet Resources using Redis”, by Alexandre Dulaunoy (english)
CSIRTs team require tangible facts when handling incidents to give proper response but also pro-actively monitor evolution of Internet resources within their constituency. In that scope, CIRCL (the national CERT of Luxembourg) developed and integrated two tools to help the ranking of internet resources like ASN, domain name and IP addresses. The presentation will describe the design and implementation of BGP Ranking and Passive DNS to cope with the high-volume of information collected everyday.
- 19h00 – “Nosql in practise at medium scale”, by Thibaut Britz (english)
Trendiction operates a cluster of more than 250 Nosql servers. Permanently, jobs are being executed on our cluster in order to crawl and analyze the data we collect. This presentation will address design and implementation of our current distributed job execution service.
The Hack.LU conference takes place at Parc Hotel Alvisse in Luxembourg the 19-21 September 2011.
All details on the conference can be found here
Hack.lu is an open convention /conference where people can discuss about computer security, privacy, information technology and its cultural/technical implication on society.
The aim of the convention is to : make a bridge of the various actors in the computer security world.
Cassandra 0.8.3 has been released mainly a bug fix release.
Changelog for 0.8.3 (new feature in bold):
* add ability to drop local reads/writes that are going to timeout
* revamp token removal process, keep gossip states for 3 days (CASSANDRA-2496)
* don't accept extra args for 0-arg nodetool commands (CASSANDRA-2740)
* log unavailableexception details at debug level (CASSANDRA-2856)
* expose data_dir though jmx (CASSANDRA-2770)
* don't include tmp files as sstable when create cfs (CASSANDRA-2929)
* log Java classpath on startup (CASSANDRA-2895)
* keep gossipped version in sync with actual on migration coordinator
* use lazy initialization instead of class initialization in NodeId
* check column family validity in nodetool repair (CASSANDRA-2933)
* speedup bytes to hex conversions dramatically (CASSANDRA-2850)
* Flush memtables on shutdown when durable writes are disabled
* improved POSIX compatibility of start scripts (CASsANDRA-2965)
* add counter support to Hadoop InputFormat (CASSANDRA-2981)
* fix bug where dirty commit logs were removed (and avoid keeping segments
with no post-flush activity permanently dirty) (CASSANDRA-2829)
* fix throwing exception with batch mutation of counter super columns
* ignore system tables during repair (CASSANDRA-2979)
* throw exception when NTS is given replication_factor as an option
* fix assertion error during compaction of counter CFs (CASSANDRA-2968)
* avoid trying to create index names, when no index exists (CASSANDRA-2867)
* fix dynamic snitch ignoring nodes when read_repair_chance is zero
* don't sample the system table when choosing a bootstrap token
* gossiper notifies of local state changes (CASSANDRA-2948)
* add asynchronous and half-sync/half-async thrift servers (CASSANDRA-1405)
* fix potential use of free'd native memory in SerializingCache
Cassandra is a highly scalable second-generation distributed database,
bringing together Dynamo's fully distributed design and Bigtable's
ColumnFamily-based data model. You can read more here:
Downloads of source and binary distributions are listed in our download
The “NoSQL community in Luxembourg” is proud to brought a second NoSQL event in Luxembourg.
Dealing with high-volume of information has become a common and legitimate need. NoSql solutions have been design to answer such new demand. If you never even heard of NoSQL this event is an opportunity for you to learn a bit more about it by participating to an educational event, otherwise take this opportunity to join the NoSql community in Luxembourg. This event will focus on the following solutions:
You can already save the date in your agenda 26th of September 2011 (starting 5:30 PM)
The ICT Spring is a two-day event which brings together more than 1,500 ICT executives from all over the world.
This year’s edition will feature 5 theme villages:
- Cloud & e-Hosted Solutions
- Funding & Finance
- Infrastructure & Telecom
- Online Business & Gaming
- Advisory & Consulting
Access map: how to get there?